ISKA National Director of Wales (Thaiboxing)
Russ had his first fight in 1983. By 1985 he had won the British Thaiboxing title and in the same year he captured the European title when he knocked out Dutch star Tommy Van Der berg in his hometown of Amsterdam.
A second European title was won the following year and two more British titles. Russ was competing in three different weight divisions under Thaiboxing and low kick Kickboxing rules.
Russ appeared regularly on Welsh television and in a documentary about his European title fight. Interviews, news and many of his title fights were also broadcast, including his world title fight in 1989 when he defeated World Champion Rico Brockington from Palm Beach Florida by unanimous decision. His world title success was rewarded with an invitation to lunch at the Houses of Parliament with the then Minster of Sport Colin Moynihan.
Russ successfully defended the title in 1990. Russ won two more world title belts before he retired in 1997; one was when he stopped England’s Graham McGrath in the ninth round in 1992. Russ also enjoyed success as a trainer promoter and manager producing several champions and a series of successful promotions.
World Champions Eugene Valerio, Gordon Minors and Ricky Nicholson fought under his guidance. They have fought all over the world including K-1 events in Japan. Russ currently coaches British ranked No.1 and world title contender Spencer Wilding and is about to open a new martial arts studio in the centre of Wrexham.
ISKA UK management team
- John Blackledge, ISKA UK National Director of Referees and Officials
- Mick Fowles, ISKA UK National Director, Pro Division
- Paul Hennessy, ISKA UK Executive Director
- Russ Williams, ISKA National Director of Wales (Thaiboxing)
- Jagtar Johal, ISKA National Director of England (Kickboxing)
- Gary O’Brien, ISKA National Director of Scotland (Thaiboxing)
- Stuart Davies, ISKA Regional Director of South-West England (Kickboxing)
- Mark Ellwood, ISKA Regional Director of North-East England (Kickboxing)
- Bern Giam, ISKA Regional Director of North-West England (Kickboxing)